SmartFactoryVN strives for transparency and trust when it comes to protecting your privacy and we aim to clearly explain how we collect and process your information. It’s important to us that you should enjoy using our products, services, and website(s) without compromising your privacy in any way.
This policy outlines how we collect and use different types of personal and behavioural information, and the reasons for doing so. You have the right to access, change or delete your personal information at any time and you can find out more about this and your rights in our FAQ section. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with our Privacy Team; their details included in our “Contact Us” section.
You should read this policy in conjunction with our User Agreement and ensure that you understand how we collect and use your information.
Our policies will be updated from time-to-time. Please refer back regularly to keep yourself updated.
Sections in this policy:
- Information we collect
- How we use your information
- How we work with third parties
- Retaining and storing your information
- External links and Cookies
- Contact Us
This policy applies to “users” and “customers” (or “you”) of SmartFactoryVN; that is anyone subscribing or interacting with any product or service from SmartFactoryVN. This includes event attendees, subscribers, website users, app users etc.
Collection and use of your information
The information you provide us, and that which we gather based on your activity, helps us to deliver more relevant content as well as create a more seamless experience across the products and channels through which you may access that content.
Information we collect
Information you provide us which we need in order to provide you with our services and products
There is certain personal information that we need in order to provide the products and services that you have chosen. For example, we collect your email address in order to provide you with our newsletter.
Information we collect through your use of our products
When you use any of our online platforms or apps we collect information that helps us to deliver the service you have chosen and to improve your experience. This is done through cookies and other technologies. Examples of the type of information we may collect are:
- Email Provider
- The pages you read on our websites and how you got to them
- IP address
- Internet Connection
- Location (in some cases)
You can also volunteer to disclose additional information which may not be essential for us to deliver a service to you. By providing it you help us to ensure we communicate with you in a way that’s most relevant, useful and engaging for you. We may collect and ask for additional information when you register, subscribe or make use of our products or services in any way, for example in person, via our marketing campaigns, via phone or mail orders, or our websites.
Information we do not track
We do not track or collect any sensitive information about you. This includes race, religion, ethnicity, and political opinion.
How we use your information
We primarily use your information for the purpose of delivering the products and services that you have chosen and to personalise our interactions (including advertising) with you. For further details about this, and other ways we may use your information, please read the sections below.
To provide products and services;
- To manage your access to our online content and apps, and to send you content via push notifications, newsletters, and email if you have requested us to do so.
- To manage customer service queries and complaints.
- To manage your privacy preferences and to ensure you only receive communications that you have requested, which may include using your details to suppress you from communications.
- To send you administrative messages about your account, reminders for upcoming events, service changes, or new policies. These updates, changes and notifications are essential for the services that you have selected.
- To provide general location-based services (e.g. the region or country you are in), advertising or search results for our content.
- To prevent users from posting illegal, offensive or objectionable comments on our site.
- To run competitions, prize draws and promotions or if you agree to be a speaker or contributor at, or in, one of our events. In these cases, subject to any specific terms SmartFactoryVN agrees with you separately, you grant a global right to SmartFactoryVN to use your name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes in all media now known or discovered afterwards and on the internet.
To deliver marketing and advertising
We need your consent to use your information for some specific purposes such as marketing, brand response communications, and personalised advertising. Ways in which we will use your information if you consent are as follows:
- We may send marketing communications via a range of channels including email and push notifications and you can opt out of these at any time. If you give us marketing permission, we may contact you to tell you about special offers and related or similar products or services.
- We will ask you if you wish to opt-out of such marketing when you first sign up to receive our products or services. You can also opt out of email marketing at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.
- In order to deliver advertising and marketing messages that are relevant to you, we may use the information we hold about you, including details that we collate from your use of our services or third parties, such as more precise information on your location, to ensure that the advertising you see is of interest to you.
Other uses of your information
Other than where we have asked for your consent, we mainly rely on two other separate bases to lawfully use your information. First, we need to use your information in certain ways to provide our products or services to you, in accordance with our contracts with you. In this case, it is necessary for us to use your information so that we can deliver the products or services you have chosen. Second, as described in more detail below, in certain cases, we may use your information where necessary to further our legitimate interests, where those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests:
- To measure customer and user response and engagement with our products and services such as online content, email newsletters, and subscription offers. This may include sharing your information with third parties who help us to analyse and measure these things.
- To ensure our products (including websites and apps) are compatible with the browsers and operating systems used by most of our visitors.
- To help us improve our customer and user experience and to support in new product development. We may send customer satisfaction surveys and market research questionnaires (for which we may share your information with third party suppliers employed by us).
- To create audience profiles for personalised advertising, marketing or research and development on and off our websites – See Audience Profiling and Social Media sections below for more detailed information.
- To detect and reduce fraudulent activity and for other security related purposes such as to help us protect against harassment, IP infringement, crime, or other security issues.
- For any purpose required by law or regulation and to verify information that we provide to third parties for compliance and audit purposes.
You have the right to object to any of the above uses of your information, please contact us if you wish to do so. We will consider all objections reasonably, but there may be legal reasons where we deem that the use of your information is still appropriate. We will explain our decision to you in a timely manner.
SmartFactoryVN publishes content on social media platforms e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn through both “organic” and “paid” methods to reach current and potential readers:
- “Organic” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they may appear in your social platform’s content, without being promoted or forced to appear more prominently, e.g. SmartFactoryVN’s Facebook Page.
- “Paid” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they will appear more prominently, or be shown to users that do not currently follow SmartFactoryVN social pages e.g. a promoted tweet on your Twitter Timeline.
We may place one or more social media platform “tags” on our website in order to better understand how SmartFactoryVN may be of best value to you by providing you with the most relevant content available according to what you have chosen to read on our own websites. These tags only record information around events to help us understand if you are registered or subscribed with us, so that we may use your reading preferences to provide more relevant content and/or offers to you, on social media platforms, e.g. removing subscription offers from your feed if you are a current subscriber.
We do not have direct access to your personal data on your social media platforms.
How we use your details for audience profiling
To enable us to personalise the content and advertising you see (including on social media), we may use your interaction and browsing behaviour or preferences (such as how and what you read on our websites and our apps) to create audience profiles. This is to enable content and message personalisation, and in some cases, advertising to be delivered to you or a group of users (an audience) with similar interests to you. This can be done both on our site and on those of third parties.
We may analyse your individual information to create a profile of your interests and preferences as a part of an audience. These insights are used to help us make marketing decisions so that we can ensure our messages are relevant to you. There are times we may use additional information available from external sources to help us do this effectively (see How we work with third parties section below).
You can choose to opt out of our audience profiling activity if you wish. This does not mean that you will no longer see advertisements, it just means that the advertisements you will see are no longer personalised to your interests. Please contact us to do so.
How we work with third parties
- As mentioned, in some instances, we disclose personal information to third parties when it is necessary to deliver a service or product, or to help us improve your experience with us, or when we are required to do so by contract or law. “Third parties” include agents, subcontractors, sponsors and other associated organisations. If we do not have a legitimate business reason to pass on your information, we will ask you to give consent first. Some examples of when we share your information are below:
- When we send you an email or a push notification, these are delivered by marketing platforms. As part of this service, certain information such as message opens, clicks and formatting are recorded to help deliver the best email experience.
- When we test and launch new products, services or offers, we may work with trusted third parties to support us.
- We also employ third parties to carry out statistical analyses and conduct surveys on our behalf, to support our advertising and content production efforts respectively
- To provide information for auditing purposes by official regulators.
- To enable third parties such as advertisers or sponsors to contact you with information about their own products and services that may be of interest – only if you give explicit permission for us to do so.
Third parties who pass information to us
We may also work with third parties to identify individuals who may be interested in our products and services or in some cases our sponsors / advertisers’ products and services. These third parties may give us access to your personal information, if you have allowed them to do so. In any communication you receive from us, through these third parties, we make sure to identify ourselves (and them) so that you know who has access to your information.
Retaining and storing your information
We securely store your information, and hold it for as long as we need to in order to provide our services and products to you in accordance with (i) applicable law, or (ii) as long as is set out in any relevant contract you have with us.
If you request for us to no longer contact you, for example with marketing communications, we will retain the minimum amount of information about you so that we can ensure we remove you from any future communications. Please note that if you ask us to completely remove all information about you, and you subsequently use our products and services at a later date, we will no longer be able to recognise your previous request to not be contacted, which is why we would keep it and suppress it in line with industry standards.
Storing and transferring information internationally
As the internet is a global environment and we work with third parties across the globe, collecting and using your personal information may involve the transfer of this information internationally, including outside of the European Union. By using our products and services you acknowledge and agree to your personal information being transferred in this way, including to jurisdictions outside the EEA.
We maintain strict policies to ensure all information that is transferred is done so safely and securely.
Keeping your information safe
We take information security seriously and have policies and procedures in place to ensure the information we hold on you remains safe. We limit who has access to your information and ensure that those who do are bound by contracts to keep your information availability restricted and safe.
Individuals under 16
SmartFactoryVN does not intentionally, or knowingly, process personal information from individuals under the age of 16. When necessary, users under the age of 16 will be told not to submit any personal details. We will make every effort to delete any details of such users where a parent or guardian has informed us that these details have been collected.
Cookies are small files that are created in your web browser when you visit any of our websites.
Cookies help make your online experience more efficient and relevant to your interests. For instance, they are used to remember your preferences on sites you visit often, to remember your user ID and the contents of your shopping baskets, and to help you navigate between pages more efficiently.
We do not collect any cookies beyond those collected by Google Analytics.
If you have questions about this policy or about your personal information, please send correspondence to us at the following address:
Alternatively, you can use the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I see what information you hold on me?
You can contact our data privacy manager as set out in our ‘Contact Us’ section above.
How do I opt out of profiling?
You can contact us at any time. A member of our data privacy team will speak to you regarding your request.
How do I opt out of marketing?
You can update your preferences at any time and you can also opt out of email marketing by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails. For other parts of SmartFactoryVN you can contact us.
How do I make a complaint?
Can I ask you to delete my information?
Yes, just contact us. We will consider your request and take appropriate action which may mean that we suppress it, rather than delete it to ensure that we can still follow your preferences as to whether or not we can market to you.
How do I update my information?
You can update it at any time via your online account at economist.com (for subscribers of the newspaper), or just contact us.
What are my rights under GDPR?
You have a right to ask us for information we hold about you, please email customer services or data privacy including the subject line, “Subject Access Request”, so that we can respond as promptly as possible.
You also have the right to ask for us to update, delete, or stop processing information we hold about you. However, please note that there are circumstances in which complete erasure of your information or ceasing to process your information will not be possible for operational, legal and business reasons. This may include if you remain a customer for whom we need to provide services, or if you wish us to no longer contact you for marketing purposes. In this case we may need to retain some of your details securely in order to facilitate this request by, for example, keeping you on a “do not contact” or suppression list. This will be the only purpose for which your data will be used if this is the case.
Changes to this policy